Monday

Social Realism

The film opening i am making as you know is on the Social Realism genre. I have been looking at a few openings to some Social Realism films and getting more ideas of how i can construct my opening to have some of the characteristics that these have.
The first film i have looked at is A Room For Romeo Brass by Shane Meadows.

What i like about this opening is that at the begining there is no music just digetic sound. It makes it feel more than a film and brings you in. Theres no real dialog just a brief conversation between the two characters. The location in which it is set is very basic just a field, a chip shop.
I also like the titles, as they are just simple plain white fonts. I think this gives it more edge and more 'realism' to it.

At the beggining of my opening im only going to have digetic sound too, but about 10 seconds into it i will have non-digetic sound over the top.


The next opening i looked at was This Is England also by Shane Meadows.

This Is England is one of my favourite films so this had to go on here! My opening isn't going to be like this: clips from documentories etc. but what i do like is 27 seconds into this clip there are some garages with graffiti on them. I like the fact that it's not art graffiti just like someone has written it there.
I want my titles to be like that on a wall as my main character is walking past them. For example the directors name, editor ... you get my drift.
I think that will give it a modern feel as it is not set in another era but today.

Kes was another film i looked at.

I know the clip is 10 minutes long, but i am just looking at the first 3ish minutes.
This film again is very basic, no special effects just basic cuts as edits. this is what i'm going to do with my film, no fancy effects, i want to just keep it simple but effective.
Again the basic white font is being used, i don't think i could use both grafiti and plain white fonts, i don't think the flow would work.
Again, i like the music coming in at 2 minutes not straight away. Something i am going to consider with my opening.

No comments: